The Barefoot Guide
Write to us at
- A. SUPPORT TO WRITE YOUR OWN PUBLICATIONSThrough collective writeshops and support, we can help your team, organisation or community of practice to write your own publications, including new Barefoot Guides.
Writing a publication has a number of stages:
- Preparation - identifying the purpose and the writers
- The Writeshop - gathering for +/- 5 days to design the publication, empower the writers and the editorial team... and begin the writing
- Writing the drafts back home - supported online by a coaching editorial team
- Editing - where the editors complete and polish the publication
- Publishing - illustrating, proofing and layout etc.
We can support, guide and facilitate you and your editorial team through this whole process. Each process will be unique, depending on how much experience and time you bring.
If you would like to develop Barefoot Guide based on your practice we can also support you to do that, as we did for Barefoot Guides 3, 5 and 6.
- B. EFFECTIVE WRITING COURSESWe run online and face-to-face courses which teach effective writing of various kinds to social change leaders and practitioners.
We can run customised writing courses on demand, either face-to-face or online. Online courses can be broken up and scheduled over several weeks.
Occasionally we will be advertising public face-to-face and online courses.
- C. WRITESHOP DESIGN AND FACILITATION COURSESWe will help you to learn how to design and facilitate writeshops for your own organisations.
This especially useful for inhouse writing and publication as well as for collaborative learning. The tools we teach you can be used for enriching and deepening your action learning processes between practitioners or collaborating organisations.
- D. COACHING FOR WRITERSWe offer online coaching support, enabling you to get over your hurdles and shape your writing into something worth reading.
We can coach you, one-to-one, through short Skype/Zoom sessions coupled with email feedback and advice. Highly effective to get those rough drafts to a polished, publishable state. For stories, case studies, reports, proposals, conference papers etc.
- E. PUBLISHING ADVICE AND SUPPORTWe offer online editing and advice to enable you to take writing drafts to final publication.
You have your almost completed drafts but need to take it the last mile to get it into final shape, with contents, acknowledgments, references, an ISBN number, proof-read, layout etc. We can give advice and guidance and even take on these tasks on your behalf.
We can also publish appropriate pieces on the Barefoot Guide Connection Website, making it accessible to a wide audience of social change practitioners and organisations.
- F. RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENTWe do continuous research and development of all the approaches and methodologies of the Barefoot Guide Writing School to strengthen writing and dialogue tools for collective learning, sharing and advocacy.
When we learn and create together we lay foundations for working together. This element of our practice brings people together to address the growing need to deepen our ability to collaborate through enriching our approaches and methods of collective thinking and learning.
"This unusual and exceptional volume (and series) is hugely accessible yet deeply rooted in solid theory and extensive practice across a wide range of contexts and fields. Expect from it something truly unique in its combination of insight, reflection, experience and highly usable mixed text/visual presentation. It is not "dumbed down."
I have seen it bite as deeply at high academic and professional level as at grassroots community leadership level, an astonishing achievement worth honouring. "
Professor Emeritus Jim Cochrane,
University of Cape Town, South Africa